Ten year after it all began, geocaching is still going strong. Both the number of geocaches and the number of geocachers are in the millions, in more than 100 countries, and continue to grow. This fascinating, outdoor, technology-driven activity--which combines aspects of treasure hunting, cutting-edge navigation, and exploration--may be the fastest growing new sport on the planet. But there is much more to geocaching than what most people know.
This revised and updated handbook covers everything an aspiring geocacher needs to get started, and it provides plenty of information to help practicing geocachers take their skills to the next level. Learn how the game began--in a new foreword by its founding father, Dave Ulmer--and discover how to:
- Select a cache listing and begin your hunt for the treasure
- Buy a GPS receiver and use it to navigate to the cache
- Create and hide your own cache for others to find
- Practice backcountry safety and geocaching etiquette
- Play other geo-games, such as "Are U Nuts"? and "Geodashing"
- Connect with other geocachers through clubs, online communuties, and geo-events