With worldwide attention focused on the Middle East, National Geographic provides extraordinary coverage of the region, rich with history and culture but ravaged by war and conflict. New and updated elements in National Geographic Atlas of the Middle East, 2nd Edition include:
- Maps and profiles three new countries: Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Sudan
- Extended information about religion includes an analysis of Sunni and Shi’ite dynamics
- Expanded ethnic coverage documents the plight and increasing influence of the Kurds
- New city maps of Istanbul and Dubai
- New Israeli-Palestinian Conflict presentation with an in-depth timeline of 15 maps
Themes range from religion, population, and ethnic and linguistic groups to oil, fresh water, and development indicators such as trade, foreign aid, infant mortality, urbanization, and education. Pictures, flags, fact boxes, and graphs complement these powerful, newsworthy topics. A timeline to 2008 and a place-name index make this new atlas a valuable, topical, and fascinating reference.