Nebraska - Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest - Bessey Ranger District
The Nebraska National Forest -- Bessey Ranger District, located south of Nebraska Highway 2, between Thedford and Halsey, was originally known as the Dismal River Forest Reserve. Proclaimed at the same time (April 16, 1902), the Samuel R. McKelvie National Forest was initially named the Niobrara Forest Reserve. Both Reserves were renamed the Nebraska National Forest in 1908 by congressional act. In 1971, Congress proclaimed the Niobrara District the country's 155th national forest, naming it for Cherry county rancher, published, and Nebraska's 28th governor, Samuel R. McKelvie.