North Carolina - Uwharrie National Forest
What is now the Uwharrie National Forest was first purchased by the federal government in 1931 during the Great Depression. The land as known as the Uwharrie Reservation.
In 1961, President John F. Kennedy proclaimed federal lands in Montgomery, Randolph, and Davidson Counties as the Uwharrie National Forest, making it one of the youngest and smallest forest (at 50,189 acres) in the National Forest System.
Though small, size does not hinder the Uwharrie from providing a wide ranger of natural resources, including clean rivers and streams, diverse vegetation for scenery, wildlife habitat, and wood products, a wide variety of recreational activities, and a natural setting for tourism and economic development.